That's Franco. He was the owner of Malvina's Coffee on Grant Avenue. The business thrived in North Beach from the 1950's through 2002. He died a few years before the business closed. His face is one of those wonderfully familiar sights from my youth. When I look at this, I can smell the Cappucino and Italian Sodas. Check out those prices. There were giant abstract murals on the wall in the backroom.
7 comments:
Love the old photos you post. Malvina's looks like the real deal. Alas, one I missed in SF.
Some best memories are walking into a coffee house and ordering my double Americano with head space. Sitting down, fondling my cup and striking up a conversation. two Americanos later, we;ve moved outside to the deck or the streetscape and continue to talk and watch life go by. Ahhhhhh, Heaven.
I agree completely with Spado - the photos are great, and I would have loved to have a coffee there.
I'd love to have a time machine just to go visit some of these wonderful places and events and relive them with you...
alan
I love the photo and that it was the real deal. Now it's either 'da Bucks or a coffee joint trying to look old but really is brand new.
I lived up the block from Malvina's while going to grad school at sf state. Malvinas was a truly great early third wave cafe, used to see Feringhetti walking his little dog around the streets.
Thanks for commenting, whoever you are.
I remember visiting Malvina's Coffee as a child.
Post a Comment