Thursday, January 19, 2006

happy birthday



janis joplin would have been 62 today, had she survived the ride. wouldn't it have been something if she had? my young life was impacted greatly by this amazing woman.
what a voice, and what an original. remember originality?

yesterday was my dear pal carla's birthday. another amazing capricorn woman. (hi, carla!!!) she and i have known each other since the days of grateful dead shows~for about 25 years. she recently joined the blogging world. do make her feel welcome, if you see her around the shack.(aka/raincatgirl)

i was tagged by alan the other day, and maybe there will be time for such frivolity over the weekend. working five days a week really does suck the soul right out of a person, sometimes.

10 comments:

alan said...

In the oddity of the way I grew up musically, I never heard Janis 'til after she was gone. Love at first voice, like Billie Holiday or Ella, she was and still is amazing!

Hope you forgive me for the tag!

alan

Honey P. Sunshine said...

I always loved Janis. I had her posters and all her records when I was a youngster(still have the vinyl). She probably why I'm such a lover of the blues, I got them ol kosmic blues again mama........
Thanks for the birthday wishes ;-)

sttropezbutler said...

When I first moved to Los Angeles, I had to see all the places Janis had been...where she'd eaten, where she died.

Thanks to recordings, she remains, as you so rightly say Annie, an original.

Get it while you can.

STB

robin andrea said...

Thanks for reminding us of this incredible talent. What a voice she had. Take another little piece of my heart...

Jennifer said...

Finally, some worthwhile music stuck in my head. Thanks, Annie.

Jennifer said...

PS: Happy Birthday Raincatgirl!!!

Taradharma said...

what a stunning realization: Janis would be 62. wow.

Great photo! What a powerhouse!

Annie, I've got a new blog for digital photography interests:
http://digitography.blogspot.com

I'd love to get some of your work on there sometime!

Honey P. Sunshine said...

Thanks Zilla. Anne, Janis is the same age as Peggy.

Angeline Rose Larimer said...

I was just thinking of Janis the other day.
62.
She'd still be rocking, for sure.

Nancy said...

OMG, Janis Joplin rocked! I have intoduced her to my kids via cds.

She could sing like nobody else. Definitely original and so sad she was lost to us so young!

I hope you have a great weekend Annie.

Have you talked to Joyce recently??? Just wondering. A local who followed the swells, died right before Christmas in a 28 foot wave off Huahine! A local here. A local wherever the waves were. But he left behind two children and a wife!

I was told by Marty, who has lived there for a very long time, that the surf was the biggest she had ever seen! All this surf was in full view of the house we always stay in. I am glad I wasn't there for that one.

His name was Richard and he lived in Surfside, here in Seal Beach. They did do a paddle out for him here. It was a huge blow to so many people. He was still so young, yet he died doing what he loved.