
this was the place my father lived for 30 years, it's in the absolute heart of north beach, san francisco. built in 1908. last year, he and my stepmother bought a place near japan town, far from north beach. the apartment is bigger, more elegant, and much better for them, as they move through life together.
but... we will always miss this place. his flat was the top one, and it was huge. wood floors, and views of washington square park and sts. peter and paul church, as well as much of the north beach area. so many memories live there.
sorry for a fairly boring photo, comparatively. but fear not-by next week i will be snappin' pictures and putting them up here for photo sunday, with any luck.
oh, and for those that have inquired, the diet i am following is called the fat flush plan. created by a woman named ann louise gittleman. just finished my hot water and lemon juice, which i drink every morning, right after the cran-water and flax seed. yum?
11 comments:
Going to past haunts is invigorating, yeah?
Rushes of good memories, the smells, sounds sights all flood in at once.
No picture gives you that, only the human eye!
Well said!
Aloha
Oh, it looks like a happy place; it's always hard to say goodbye, isn't it?
Happy Sunday, Annie! Hope the week ahead is peaceful and bright.
xo Inger
Those wonderful memories are a blessing for you.
I love this photo and what a beautiful building and you can only think of how many memories theere are on that top flat....
I love this photo.
It isn't boring in the least.
Have a good week Annie...and can't wait to see the snaps!
STB
lovely place you dad had there, annie...lovely indeed...i'm glad your memories of it are dear ones...
much love to you dear annie and have a peaceful week...
ciao...
Absolutely beautiful home.
I remember going back to KC and visiting people who still live in my old neighborhood. The pull of my old yard as I walked out to my car from a neighbors house. Well, I couldn't resist, I looked in the back yard, and on both sides, then seeing that no one was home, I sat down under the oak tree, and bawled. What a dork. If they had been home I probably would have asked them if I could come in and look around. Good thing no one was home. Heheh.
I live in the house I came home from the hospital to in 1955. Dad built a new one in '65 and rented this one out, then when my wife and I moved back here in '78 I made the payments on it, then bought it from him. It's small, and the neighborhood has cycled several times through downs and ups; the nice thing is that it's only 7 minutes from work on an average day, so 'til I retire, I'll stay here.
It did seem much smaller when we moved in that it did when I moved to the "new house" in '65; the other fun thing is finding all the shortcuts my Dad took as he remodeled and added on to things; there are times I'd love to be able to call him and say "what were you thinking"! When I was 4 or 5 he built a TV into the living room wall, using the shelf in the entry closet to support it. 15 years ago, and a few years after he died I was putting in an attic fan, and found an old black rubber extension cord coiled up in the middle of the attic. As I moved insulation to try and figure out what it was, it became apparent it was wired into the house, going down one wall to an original outlet, and the other end went to that closet. The rubber was so old it was flaking off from the heat in the attic...
I found another place where he added on a "storm porch" that was later enclosed to be the master bedroom when my sister came along in '59. There was a big ball of "friction tape" (cloth based electrician's tape) around a bundle of wiring. Not having a junction box, he just soldered everything together and then wrapped it that way. 45 years later of course, the tape is dried out and stating to unravel...
Then there was my sister's favorite rubber ball he used as a cap when he redid some of the plumbing in the basement he dug under the house. When she came to visit she would always point at her ball and talk about how mad she still was at Dad for that, so when I redid the plumbing in the early 90's I called and offered to return it to her; of course, since it had been part of the sewer side of the plumbing, she didn't think that was funny at all!
It does make me think about Dad at the oddest times, somehow!
alan
Great sentiment, stirring up nostalgia for everyone. Perfect time of year for it! *Lori and Alan got me thinking I need to go visit my Grandma's place, but I just can't do it yet. The smell of her basement blocks would make me bawl, I'm sure of it. I'd expect her to hang out the back door and tell me to hurry in out of the cold. I'd be able to smell canned corn and smoked sausage. I can smell it now.
I miss her.
Anyway, how does one pass along the name of your diet to someone who would LOVE to know about it...but might not appreciate being told of it by her daughter-in-law? Totally hypothetical. Okay, not so much. I don't notice her weight, but I do know how much it means to her to lose weight. Last time she visited the kids, she mentioned it over and over.
What do you think? An anonymous email? A casual, "Ever heard of the fat flush plan?" doesn't seem appropriate over the holidays.
I love this house and I love San Francisco, my favorite city.
Even without knowing the location, it just screams San Franciso.
So wonderful!
Ms. Annie, I wish you the most delightful holiday ever!
Lots and Lots of Love to You!
x0x0x0x
I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you!
»
Post a Comment