Wednesday, October 26, 2005

and furthermore...




in 1967, i was 10. my father lived in the haight ashbury, on scott street. although i find it somewhat tragic that i was so young that i could not fully grasp the wide-open thinking of that time, i do have some vivid, beautiful memories. it shaped the person i became, and i am proud of my unique heritage.

8 comments:

I n g e r said...

Oh, Annie, you're wonderful. I love all of these posters. Love Sunny Ade, who's a real time-in-life for me. I think I visited your ex-neighbor once, or a cousin. Bought a broken watch from him. I don't know why, except that it felt good in my hand. I still have it.

sttropezbutler said...

What a great experience to have had.

I was 20, in 1970 and finally made it to the Haight. I was and I wasn't disappointed.

I wore flowers in my hair.

STB

Dr. Deb said...

Wow, what an amazing time to have been there. I'm betting the experience and the culture then did have a big impact on you.

~Deb

robin andrea said...

I didn't get to see the Haight until 1970, when I had graduated from high school and moved to California from New Jersey. I think by then things had changed. '67 on the east coast wasn't exactly about flowers, but it was about peace, and we protested the war and marched on Washington. I love those days.
It must have been great to have been right in the heart of the Summer of Love.

Hawaiianmark said...

Killa posters!

Wish I kept the ones from alohaland that i had.

Aloha!

Connie in FL said...

I moved to Chicago... Richard J Daley, Mayor... in 1968 just a few days after the Democratic convention. Riots were all the rage. War protesters were dragged off with much fanfare. The "We Serve and Protect" motto of the Chicago Police... Richard J Daley, Mayor... took on a whole meaning.

As a form of public relations, that following spring the city hosted free concerts in Grant Park. Jefferson Airplane is the one I most remember. Quite a crowd... I wondered if the ground would give way and we'd all end up in the subway tunnels below... "We Serve and Protect" mostly just stood by and let whatever happened happen.

Great time to be alive and a Democrat.

Blogzie said...

When the truth is found to be lies
and all the joys within you dies
don't you want somebody to love
don't you need somebody to love
wouldn't you love somebody to love
you better find somebody to love


You always take me back, Ms. Annie.

I was there in 1970. A fifteen year runaway who had an insatiable desire to be a part of the 'Summer of Love.'

And you were actually living there! I would have thought you were the coolest girl ever.

But I still think that and you still are.

x0x0x0x

ghartstein said...

Those posters are wonderful! I was 2 in 1967, yet often felt like a "man out of time" in the 80's! So even for me, a deadhead late in life, things like this have a certain amount of nostalgia!